[updated: April 26, 2015]
Know how the Beard Board is organized before you begin posting. Forums are assigned to the following sections:
General Organization - Announcements and how to get around the board
Starting and Establishing Any Style Beard - For new beard growers or guys that have questions about their facial hair
Established Beards - For veteran beard growers who want feedback or would like to share their personal experience growing and maintaining their beard or other facial hair style
Beard Talk - For general questions or for research products or styles
Other - Links to other beard sites (Link Exchange) or non-beard related threads (Miscellaneous)
Each forum within a section has a Read Me sticky thread that gives the criteria for adding a thread in the forum and names a Forum Manager who is responsible for running that forum. Please follow this criteria when adding a new thread as Forum Managers will move the thread if posted in an inappropriate forum.
Beard Board staff consists of Moderators and Administrators. Administrators have the final say in the running of Beard Board. Current Administrators are Jeff (The Goatee King), Tom (Tom E) and Dan (DanoFromCO).
This site's primary goal is to encourage, help and support beard growers. If you cannot make polite, constructive suggestions to a poster, then do not post.
Example of what NOT to do: "Your beard is a patchy mess. Shave it off."
Instead: "I do not think you are ready to sport a full beard quite yet. I suggest you try a goatee for now."
Beard Board Rules:
1. Do not start an argument or flame another poster on the open forum. For example, perhaps you were offended by a comment directed at you specifically or perhaps you feel some other member posted an inappropriate comment. The way to handle this is to PM that person directly or ask the Forum Manager to help.
2. There will be no tolerance for any mockery or making fun of others that post their pictures no matter how short or long, thick or thin or whatever they may be. It takes lots of guts to post pictures for the public to see in the first place. Such behavior will only discourage new members from posting.
3. Board policy, including decisions made by the Forum Manager such as deleting posts, closing or merging threads, must never be discussed in the open forum. If you have concerns or questions, send a private message to the Forum Manager directly. If you feel the Forum Manager has acted inappropriately, you can appeal by sending a message to any of the Administrators and they will discuss your concerns in an internal private forum.
Please understand that we welcome feedback or concerns when communicated properly in private message or on private Chat; however, we will not hesitate to ban a member that directly or indirectly tries to bend or skirt this rule.
4. Please report any post that is spam-like in nature or an obvious garbage post. DO NOT reply to it. Instead, inform the Forum Manager or any one of the Beard Board staff members who will then deal with the post in an appropriate manner.
You may also use the Report Post link for less urgent issues as this does not go out to all staff members. To do this, go to offending post and click on "More", then "Report Post".
5. Hair-related topics should stay focused on facial hair in general. Topics pertaining to chest hair are permitted in the miscellaneous section. Please keep any discussions for hair above the waist. Posts related to any type of sexual nature are against board policy and may result in banning.
6. Please refrain from posting topics, replies or subject matter in an open forum that pertains only to mature audiences. In other words, keep it PG-13.
- Overt images or discussions of topics related to sex, violence, racism, illegal drug use and any topics which may be considered sensitive, such as religion or politics.
- Posting sexually-charged or flirtatious comments even if you feel the comment might be welcomed. You may send a PM but be sure to adhere to Rule #7.
Some polite discussions of sensitive topics may be allowed at the discretion of the Forum Manager.
We do not tolerate discrimination in any form. That may include race, gender, ethnic/religious/political background, or sexual orientation! Intentionally violating this rule will result in immediate banning.
7. Emails and/or PMs between members that involve harassment or contain indecent/offensive material will not be tolerated. Unsolicited requests to trade pictures back and forth are also strictly banned. Any complaint from a member about another member harassing him will result in immediate banning.
8. Do not make claims as fact if they cannot be supported through verifiable links. If you are unsure, post a question or state this is your opinion.
9. Topics found linking from another site with the intent of invading and/or bringing harm to our community shall be deleted and potentially reported to Yuku for further banning.
10. Please do not edit nor bump up topics that were last replied to over 9 months ago and thus are considered non-fresh topics. Instead post a new topic. If you have a topic that is older and wish to merge the thread to a similar topic, please ask the Forum Manager to help. Similarly, if you started a topic that should now be archived, let the Forum Manager know.
11. Bumping another user's thread who has not posted in a couple of months is discouraged. Chances of him seeing this bump are slim. A better approach is to send him a PM and notification of that will be sent to his email account which is most likely monitored on a regular basis.
12. Bumping your thread repeatedly to get it pushed to the top will likely result in a warning from a moderator. Continued bumping may result in a ban.
13. Do not post image of others claiming it to be yourself. Someone will usually point this out, so do not even attempt to get away with it. This shall not be tolerated and may result in permanent banning.
14. Please post using proper spelling and grammar that is readable and understandable to the best of your ability. While we provide a profanity filter, we expect you to not try to get around the filter by clever misspelling. The profanity filter does not catch everything, so please try to keep it clean. If you are warned by a moderator, it means you are crossing the line of what is acceptable. We understand that non-English speakers may not use perfect grammar, and of course we will be more tolerant of those members. Repeated failure to adhere to this rule will result in a warning. Consistent lack of improvement will lead to banning.
15. In general, promotion of external sites that are permanent and non-personal should be posted in the Link Exchange forum. If you are posting a non-permanent link such as an ebay auction or some beard contest you have entered, please notify a staff member when it is concluded so we can close or delete the topic as necessary. Personal sites such as on The Society of Bearded Gentlemen, myspace, facebook, deviantart, and other similar profile sites should instead be put in your profile or in your signature.
NOTE: Sites may be blacklisted by the Beard Board from the Link Exchange, member posts, profiles and signatures. Blacklisted sites are generally those that might, for example, be actively attempting to undermine the goals of the Beard Board or are otherwise deemed inappropriate for our members by the Beard Board staff. If you have a link to such a site in your profile or signature, we will notify you in PM to remove it. Failure to do so will result in a ban.
16. IMPORTANT: If you provide a link in your signature or any post that links to a non-Beard Board site, the link text and/or the description must explicitly state where the user will be going if the user clicks on the link. Any intentional deception or trickery to get users to go to another site will likely result in banning.
Further, do not simply add a reply with the sole purpose of promoting an external site. If it is clear your intention is simply to promote another site, we will consider it spam and it will be removed along with a warning. You must at least post something relevant and meaningful as judged by the Forum Manager.
17. If you need to remove your personal pictures, posts, etc, and you do not have the delete option available, please notify the Forum Manager. He can remove the posts much more efficiently, and this will not bump your topic back to the top. While not required, please provide a reason so that we may understand why you chose this action.
18. Do not post pictures of other members without their explicit consent. If we find that you posted a picture of another Beard Board member against their will, you will be banned immediately.
19. Be aware that when you post pictures of yourself on this or any Internet site, you have no control over how those pictures will be used. If this is of particular concern to you, then you should take measures to disguise yourself, such as blocking out your eyes or only showing the bottom half of your face. And of course you should never give out any personal information such as your real name, address or phone number on this or any public forum. Forum Managers may, at their discretion, edit posts to remove private information. The Beard Board staff takes no responsibility for your personal photographs or how they are used on other sites.
20. Do not hotlink (post images) from sites that do not allow it.
And if you post an image to another website such as Beard Community, Beard Society, Beards.org or any site with their own rules and restrictions, please at least post a topic along with the photo image there, and not here. Hotlinking from BCBB, for example, is not allowed, and Russ McClay still has to pay the bandwidth costs. Please keep in mind that not all Internet Service Providers are so friendly when it comes to allowing images to be posted for message board purposes. While some mask such images with a company logo such as tripod, geocities or angelfire, some certain sites go to extremes in masking with a hideous image which is in short offensive to the general public.
21. While properly citing and posting public domain photos of celebrities, vintage photographs, etc. is OK, be careful not to post photos of people who have not given you explicit permission (whether they are members of the Beard Board or not).
22. Creating a user name or changing an existing user name to one which is deemed by the staff as being offensive, derogatory, profane, intended to cause mockery, intended to impersonate another member.... will result in banning.
23. Use of Minoxidil and any of its variants (e.g. Rogaine) on the face is explicitly discouraged by the Beard Board, unless it becomes approved for such use by the manufacturer and/or the FDA. Further, the Beard Board explicitly forbids discussion of Minoxidil, or any of its variants, in the Teen forum.
This applies to all linked chatrooms whether on Yuku, IRC & XAT.
1. Adult content including discussions of any body parts below the neck, even in PM, is strictly prohibited between adults and teens under 18 years of age regardless of perceived consent.
2. Any complaint mentioned to the staff regarding inappropriate discussion in PM or chat will likely result in immediate banning. It may further result in global banning from the Yuku network.
3. The staff will be constantly monitoring and surveying members we see participating in Chat to ascertain if any inappropriate discussions are going on.
Penalties and Actions:
Depending on the severity of violating any of the above, the following actions will be taken:
Minor violation: A warning by private message. Consistent violations shall lead to harsher warnings and possible banning.
Major violation: A ban along with an explanation by private message. Appeals shall be taken into fair consideration.
Intentional (obvious) violation: A ban without further explanation. Any appeals shall be taken into fair consideration.
If anybody has any question or issue with these rules, please feel free to contact the administration (The Goatee King, DanoFromCO, Tom E).