Private messages are the email-like mechanism to communicate with other users. Note that for a user who hasn't been on Beard Board for a while, this is a good way to get the user to respond since he probably monitors his regular email on an ongoing basis. This email will indicate who sent the email but the user will have to log into Beard Board to read it.
The main points about PM are...
- Locate a post of the user you want to PM and under his avatar picture, click More, then Message Me
- Click the username above an avatar picture in a post and click Write Me under his account picture that comes up
- Click an underscored username anywhere on the main screen [Who's Online, Last Post, Author, Community Statistics @ bottom of main menu, Staff list] and click Write Me under his account picture that comes up
- Enter a Subject: of the PM. Note: if you do not enter a subject, "No Subject" will be entered but if the PM is sent from the mobile app, it cannot be selected by the recipient without a subject.
- Enter the message with text, links, pictures, etc.
- Click Send Message to send the PM and send an external email to the user. This email will indicate who sent the email but the user will have to log into Beard Board to read it.
- The recipient is notified of new PMs with the number immediately to the right of Logout at the top of the screen. Clicking on the number will bring up the complete list of PMs and if this is a new PM, it will be at the top of the list.
- Even if no new PMs, (0) can be clicked to bring up your PM list