Prepare to Start a Thread
Ok, you think you are ready to start your first journey thread but have you completed all the preliminary tasks? Here are some steps to consider before you begin that first journey thread...
- Read Preparing to make Your First Thread to get your thoughts together.
- Take pictures that you plan to show... but wait, do you have some coverage to show? You won't have enough to show after 1 or 2 days, but you will after at least a week. So at this point check out the Tutorial: Take, Store, Insert Your Pictures and take some great pictures.
- Store your pictures in an online library. If you're not sure which one, the Tutorial will help you decide. If you've already decided, then choose one of Beard Board Album, Photobucket, Other Repository, or Mobile Device. It's best to sort through all the pictures you took in step 2 and upload just the ones you plan to show.
- Locate the correct forum to add your thread by first reading Our Fora Defined and then, having chosen what you think to be the correct forum, verify that by reading the sticky titled READ ME BEFORE ADDING A THREAD IN THIS FORUM which is found in all of our fora. Then you will know you are about to add your journey thread in the correct forum and the mods won't have to move you to the forum you should have chosen.
Start Your Thread
Ok, now you are ready to start your first journey thread because you completed all the preliminary tasks. Let's get started...
- From the main menu locate and click the forum you chose for your journey thread.
- Click the NEW TOPIC button at the top and bottom right of the list of threads.
- Enter a Title: for your thread... perhaps give your age, how long you have been growing or perhaps your goal. Something like 21 yo, 2 weeks in, going for full beard or 17 yo, what is my potential?. The title is the eye catcher and as you go through your journey, you will change that to lure others into reading and commenting on your thread.
- Start typing your text to introduce yourself, perhaps why you are embarking on this journey, any concerns you have and what goals [if any] you have right now.
- Show a couple of your best pictures using the appropriate step-by-step in the Tutorial for the repository you chose to store your pictures. See below for a tip on lining up your pictures with text and why you should consider to post pictures rather than links.
- After inserting your pictures, close out the thread with some questions or comment.
- Hit Preview in lower right corner to see the post before adding it.
- Hit Save in lower right corner to add the thread to the forum.
- Start a new line and make a short statement about the picture below. Hit Enter to force a new line
- Insert the picture image, then hit Enter again to force a new line.
- Enter a short statement for the next picture, then Enter.
- Insert the next picture, then Enter.
- Repeat this process for the remainder of pictures.